Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wiring up

As mentioned in the last post, I was in the process of wiring up the layout. One yard is now done. I've soldered wires directly to the rail, and used a little extra flux (available from your DIY store or plumbing supply) to make the solder flow easier and reducing the time the soldering iron is in contact with the rail, and thus preventing the plastic ties to melt. As ever with work like this, use caution, follow all safety precautions (solder is hot, flux is an irritant, so ventilate the space well) by their respective manufacturers, and I do not accept any liability. Rather than taking pics etc, here's a little video I found on Youtube, that explains it very well, and is very similar to my method, although I prefer using multiple strand wire as opposed to the solid strand used in this video, made by Paul Aziz from Lebanon, Oregon.   



No comments:

Post a Comment