Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Progress on the layout.

My California Northern layout is seeing some slow progress at the moment. About 90% of the track is laid, and I've started piercing holes through the roadbed next to the tracks to feed wiring through. I'm using PECO code 75 track with 'electrofrog' turnouts. This means that insulated rail joiners have to be used as these type of turnouts have a tendency to short out the lines if thrown. There are ways around it by cutting wires on the bottom etc of these, but then you'll need to wire up these turnouts and use switches etc. As mine are going to be hand thrown for simplicity and as they're all within my reach, I have decided to leave these wire bridges in place. It does mean however that a few additional electrical connection points are needed throughout the yards etc, making that job a little more tedious. Then again, it will improve electrical connections, and making it more reliable once I switch to DCC.
Here's a pic of one of the yards just before I started the wiring job.

No comments:

Post a Comment