Friday, February 12, 2010

California Northern


Let me introduce my own layout (under construction). I called it California Northern as I want it to be set in the mid to northern part of California, the UP being the class 1 railroad in the area, but with my freelance shortline railroad being the main operator on my layout.
It's a switching layout, which I chose to do due to the limited space available, and want to try and make it a believable scene, not too much crammed into a small place, but leaving sufficient space for scenery, to create a nice balanced look. The temptation to cram in loads of track is often a 'mistake' that many make, but it also depends on your priorities, and in that respect there is no right or wrong. This is just how I planned it.
Some inspiration for this layout came from seeing how Lance Mindheim build his 'East Rail' Miami inspired switching layout. You can see his layout at Lance Mindheim dot com . Another source of inspiration is the work of Pele Soeeborg from Denmark. " His layout can be found at Pele Soeeborg/my hobby . I've got some of their books too for plenty of great tips and instructions. See their websites for more info.

The picture shows my track plan, click on it for a larger version.

No comments:

Post a Comment