Saturday, February 20, 2010

Making the switch

No I'm not trying to convince you to swap your Windows PC to a Mac (although it would be a good decision :-) ) It's about going from DC to DCC. I've been pondering this for ages. All my loco's (except my latest GP35) are DC models, which I bought before DCC really took off. in addition, my modelrailroad hobby stood still for a while due to various circumstances, but I've started again, and I now find myself digging through the overwhelming choices of DCC systems and terminology that I am still a little alien too. However, thanks to being an NMRA member, and meeting other model railroaders recently, I've had the opportunity to 'play' hands on with a variety of systems. I've had some hands on fun with Lenz (the inventors of DCC), Digitrax, and a bachmann set. There are many others available, but I have to say that the Lenz system makes the best impression, particularly on the build quality. The components have a very proffesional feel to them. The Digitrax system seem to use standard PCB mounted switches which just poke through holes on the relatively cheap feeling (but sturdy enough) hand set. However Digitrax has the advantage of having dedicated keys for functions like bells and whistles etc, which makes access to those a bit easier. Also digitrax uses a faster communication protocol between the components that make up their DCC system, so that could be an advantage on very large or complex layouts. In the real world however, on the average layout these differences will be totally acceptable and won't stand in the way of railroad fun.
So, unless I come accros an offer that is too good to miss out on, I'm saving up for a Lenz DCC system for my home layout. I've always been sensitive to quality over quantity, and while the Digitrax and others certainly are very good systems, I prefer Lenz. It's as personal as choosing a car or PC probably. I'll keep you posted once I've bought my system.

No comments:

Post a Comment