Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tools of the trade

Just thought to report on my latest purchases, which are a Tamiya Pin vise, and a set of HSS twist drills starting at 0.3mm and up.
I have several locomotives for which I've been collecting detail parts etc, and am planning to start detailing these soon. Once I do, I will make plenty pictures so you can see the progress.
Why am I mentioning these tools? For those that are wanting to take the plunge and do some detailing, but were afraid to, or had some unsuccessful attempts, a good model starts with good tools. Drilling these very small holes for a variety of details can't be done with an electric drill. These usually turn way too fast, resulting in either the drill or the plastic, or both to overheat and melt, bend etc. A pin vise is a hand tool, the size of a jewelers screwdriver, and the drilling is done by hand, by gently turning and twisting the drill so that there's no heat build up etc. It is slower of course, but this isn't a speed contest, it's about accuracy. So get yourself a pin vise and good miniature drills. It's worth it.
The loco's I have on the detailing list are: 2x Union Pacific C44-9W, 1x NE CF7, 1x UP GP 35. I will probably start with the CF7, depending on which loco I've got all the parts for first. (some are on back order.

No comments:

Post a Comment