Wednesday, July 11, 2012

More Power

I run my layout using a SPROGII, an old PC running JMRI and my old iPod Touch as a wireless throttle.  As I had the PC and iPod previously, the conversion to DCC didn't cost me as much as buying a system from NCE, Lenz, or other maker. (obviously, there's the expense of locomotive decoders etc). The SPROG cost me GBP45,- , and a good loco decoder can be had for about GBP25,-  , obviously sound equipped are more expensive, but that's a step you can add later if you wish.

However, as my fleet of DCC equiped locomotives is growing (partly through purchasing of new loco's, and partly by converting older locos to DCC), the current limit of the SPROGII is starting to get noticable. The SPROGII was initially only designed to be a programming tool, but as JMRI functionality increased, more and more people use it as a DCC controller.
The makers of the SPROG have realised that too, and a couple months ago I reported that they released two new products, the SPROGIII, which is identical to the II but has a higher current output, and the SBOOST, a booster compatible with the SPROG II (and III). The booster can be used to increase the output of a SPROGII to the same level as a III, and also to create power districts with their own boosters (provided the power supply can handle that).
I went the way of a SBOOST (GBP 60,-) , which will increase the current output to 2.5A , enough for a 3 to 4  average HO locomotives running at full tilt/amp draw. This is something that will rarely happen on my layout. Most of the time the majority are idling away, while I run one. In future I see this increasing to 2 or 3, but never with big heavy trains. the 2.5A is probably enough, although my power supply can handle up to 5A, so a second booster can always be added at a later stage should I feel I need one.

Doing it in this way, I've been able to spread the expense a bit, and slowly grow my DCC system (incl loco decoders).

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is beware of basing decisions based on sunken cost, which is what you appear to be doing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all in all the cost add up. But for me being able to 'spread' the cost is what I needed to do. A decent Lenz set up (which is what I'd like to have bought) is close to 300 GBP, and then still no JMRI connection to be able to program my decoders via decoder pro etc.
    Apart from that the SPROG solution does work very well, and suitable for a small layout with a limited number of loco's.

    ReplyDelete