Monday, April 2, 2012

Exactrail goes direct

Currently I do not know what the impact is on the availability of ExactRail products outside the US due to  the following announcement from them, but my initial feeling is not very positive, I hope I am wrong:


As of May 1, 2012, ExactRail will no longer offer a dealer discount and will discontinue our dealer network. Cost of production has increased considerably for ExactRail over the last two years. We have absorbed most of these increases through our margins, however this is not a supportable model for our business. Our conclusion is that we can keep prices reasonable by serving you directly. We believe we can both benefit from having direct interaction.
The future of ExactRail is bright with many exciting and innovative new products coming soon. Over the past year we have been busier than ever in new product development, the quality and authenticity of our products will exceed anything that ExactRail has released to date. You have a lot to look forward to from ExactRail.
Keep an eye on ExactRail.com and our Facebook page for some exciting upcoming announcements!
Happy Railroading,
The ExactRail Team

2 comments:

  1. While I'm no ExactRail junkie (I own just 2 of their cars, but that's because I have more than enough cars already), I do think the dealer model is very 20th Century.

    The Internet changes everything and we no longer need a dealer network to push products out to consumers.

    There are many companies who have cut out middlemen to increase their profit margins (ie their economic viability).

    ExactRail won't win any friends doing this, but I think they deserve success. It'd be nice for them if they can make a nice living selling their (admittedly nice looking) products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, if it's the way to survive, then that's what they should do, however, I'm not looking forward having to order them from the US, pay the shipping and the import duties and taxes into the UK as I fear I may end up paying more than what I do now directly from a dealer.

    We'll see

    ReplyDelete