Monday, November 11, 2013

Micro LED's

I have recently installed some LED's in my new GP15-1, for which I'm also making a video. I hope to complete that video by next weekend, and  will post it next week.

Just prior to doing this install, I ordered some micro LED's to see if I could make up a couple of ready wired LED's for my own use. I'm thinking of using these in headlights of model cars etc.

However what I haven't found is a thin enough insulated wire that I can use to solder these to, not to mention a solder tip for my solder station that is thin enough to handle this..
Have a look at this picture, those two yellow dots on my finger are two LED's. VERY TINY indeed.

I am going to struggle making these up, and I'm going to take my time in figuring out how to do it without burning them.  In the meantime, if you don't want to give yourself a headache, have a look at the mini and micro LEDs at Express models, from the UK. While 4 of them will cost you about 5 GBP, they do come with additional resistors, and what's more, you won't need to solder them :-)


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful tiny LEDs for small scales, even if they could give headaches to many modelers (I include myself here, at the top, having 2 left hands when it comes to soldering, electronic circuits etc).
    Not necessarily as a tip for you, but here is an interesting pen for electronic circuits - http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/21/circuit-scribe-kickstarter/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi
    Pretty expensive right now, but it could be great for electric stuff in modeling.
    Best regards,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete