Saturday, December 10, 2011

CFNR SD9

What seems like a lifetime ago, I started a project on an SD9E, which was one of the first locos in service with the CFNR. they had 4, of which two ex SP units. I'm modeling one of them, CFNR 203.
I've been at a standstill with this project for a while, sometimes you just need to put things aside for a while. Today I decided I didn't like the remnants of the ladders on the hood, which i tried to remove as best as I could, and replace with new ladders from Details Associates. I tried removing them before, but bits of casting remained. I think I managed to clear the rest of them away today, and I now need to touch up the cream/white paint, before I proceed with masking the loco to be able to airbrush on the green.
Here's a picture of it's (SP) sister, no 202, back in the '90's.


2 comments:

  1. Smart looking paint job on this locomotive. I look forward to seeing your model of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of the reasons why I was attracted to the California Northern as a subject for a model railroad. Smart paint scheme, the equipment was always kept clean etc. They were bought by Railamerica and now the new generation power like Genset locomotives have displaced most of the older locos (GP15-1's, mainly, the SD's were gone in the late 90's already), and now have a red white blue paintscheme that is much less attractive... progress I guess :-)

    Thanks for your comment!

    Koos

    ReplyDelete