Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sound, the next frontier.

I've been contemplating building in sound into loco's. The main issue stopping me from doing so initially was cost. A sound decoder cost around £80,- GBP, or around $120,- USD. For that kind of money, you could easily buy another (DC) loco. However, I've seen several sound loco's in operation, and it does add quite a bit to the illusion and fun. Also, since I am at the beginning stages of converting my loco's, I may as well do it right the first time. (any future new loco purchases are likely to include sound from factory, making it a more economical deal).
So I've decided to put a sound decoder into my CF7, currently under construction. This is a smaller diesel, and I think if I am successful in fitting it inside the CF7, then other diesels (I have a few C44-9W waiting to be detailed etc next) should be a lot easier.  For my first sound loco, I've opted for  a QSI Quantum Revolution (see pic). I've gone for the universal model and have the decoder pre-programmed with the correct sounds by DCC supplies, where I've bought it. (see list with links). I am also fitting a narrow bass-reflex speaker system inside for  better sound performance. Stay tuned for more on this in the near future! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment