Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Some DCC experience

Recently I've struggled a little bit in getting a loco to behave correctly after converting to DCC.
It involves an Athearn bluebox GP38-2, which I've had for many years, and was converted to DCC using a TCS T4X decoder. I kept having a problem that above a certain speed the loco would just accelerate suddenly. After a long troubleshooting period, with help and advice from others, it was discovered that the BEMF function of this decoder could not fully control the loco at higher speeds.  The solution was to have BEMF cut off at a certain speed, which is done by adjusting CV10. I've set it to a value of around 22. BEMF is now active only on the slowest speeds, and switches off once the loco is moving at approx 10-15 scale mph. I thought I'd share this with you so you can try the same if you've experienced similar problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment