Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Back to the backdrops

After putting old newspaper over the tracks etc to protect it, I painted the backdrop boards. The few replies I received made me deviate from the plan slightly. After the PVA was applied and dried, I first painted the boards with a light blue (left over from an old baby room colour scheme) oil based paint to properly seal the boards. After that I painted the boards with a matt emulsion paint. I used Cobalt Blue from UK's Homebase paint range.  While this may appear very blue and a bit dark on the picture, I chose this colour on purpose. Over this surface, clouds and mist will be painted/sprayed with a variety of white and light grey shades, which will make the back drops appear a lot lighter than they currently are.
First I need to get some materials to cut out cloud templates though, so if you'll excuse me :-)

1 comment:

  1. Could not find any left over plastic sheets in my junkbox, so I ordered several sheets of 0.5mm styrene to make cloud templates with from one of the suppliers in my links list, Model Railroad Baseboards. Sheets of 0.5mm x 325mm x 440mm are only 0.72 GBP each, which I think is good value!

    ReplyDelete