Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Silo kit

Looking around for a few small industries to place on my module, I came accross this silo kit by Faller.  Faller is a well established german manufacturer of model railroad scenery products, and other accessories. Most of their structures have a german/swiss feel to them, but occasionally you can find something that is useful for a North American layout too, or is easy to be 'americanised' . (This is true for other european scenery makers too , such as Pola, Kibri, Heljan and others).

One such item is this silo kit. Faller 120260 contains a pair of silos, which, although somewhat scaled down, would work as a small grain elevator, or even other types of pellets, and it's not that expensive either. I therefore bought it, and will attempt to make a nice 'north american' industry out of it, I'll keep you posted, here's a picture from both the front and rear, courtesy of Faller.




2 comments:

  1. I think this silo would look really good on the layout. I wanted to handmade one using wire and cardboard (there's a thick card core cylinder on tee-pees :D, there's the idea comes from). But I don't have room for at least a medium layout... so I abandoned the idea. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your progress, got to see it "live". :)

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris, this silo industry will be placed on my module, not my fixed layout. The module is made up of two boards, each 1.20m long and 45cm deep.
    You might have seen it, I've called it 'Wolter Springs'. This is where I will use it.
    These silos aren't big, the footprint of this one is only 10 x 20 cm. So you could easily build something similar on a small diorama of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete