Tuesday, May 28, 2013

An update

Last week I shared some videos of the Conrad turnout motors.
Since then, I've been able to finalise all the wiring of my 'Wolter Springs' module boards.
It is very well possible that I will need more wiring in the future for things like lights of various types etc (think street lights, buildings ) or animations such as grade crossings etc.
The basics are done however, all trackwiring , turnout control, DCC bus (plus an auxilary bus), Throttle bus, as well as 16VAC bus wiring is in place.
I've also painted the fascia of the boards , which improves their appearance and protects the wood.

This means I can now continue with another aspect which is scenery.

The other thing I've ordered and received is an ESU loksound select decoder, pre-loaded with an 8cylinder EMD 645 non turbo engine. This decoder is going to be used in my SW1500 on the main layout. I have reported that I've struggled to get decent low speed performance out of that engine, and ESU reportedly has some of the best motor control electronics in the business, so hopefully that will cure the problem. (I've already done all the mechanical checks etc), and at the same time it will get sound, and LED lights.

Another project I will soon continue with is the Southern Pacific GP9 commuter engine. I've got most detail parts in stock now, and the Proto 2000 shell I have for this has been stripped.
First on this project is to modify the side sill so that the tank filler cap is moved backwards instead of its current forward position.

So as you can see, plenty to do, and not enough time to do it all in, but we'll get there slowly.

Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment