Monday, March 7, 2011

Southern Pacific SD9

The SD9 locomotive has always been one of my favourite US locos. Nicknamed the 'Caddies', which in itself is a nickname for Caddilac, because of their comfortable ride qualities, they were a very succesful and reliable locomotive, many of which have done service for many decades, and even today some SD9's are still operating on some short lines and industries. Not bad for a loco which first saw service in 1955! The CFNR also owned 4 , two were ex C&NW , while the second two were ex SP SD9E's. The SD9E's were a re-build locomotive, that had several modifications done by the SP. I've now started detail my old Athearn SD9, converting it to an SD9E, and then it will be painted in CFNR colours, and will be given roadnumber 203. The other ex SP SD9 was number 202, but that loco was originally SP 4319, which was a snow fighting locomotive. I know a friend of mine who likes modeling these snowfighting locos, and may have plans to build 4319, and I don't want my 202 to show up on the same layout next to his 4319, as they were the same loco, so I'm basing mine on 4331, which became CFNR 203. Here's a picture of my early start of the project, and of the original loco 4331, and finally as CFNR 203. I'm not sure who took these prototype pictures, if you read this, let me know and I'll credit you accordingly. As always, clicking on a picture brings up a larger one in a new window.


No comments:

Post a Comment