Monday, November 29, 2010

California Northern trackplan revision


In order to increase operational interest, and in addition, to add some elements of the real CFNR in the mix, I've decided to make some changes to the east side of my trackplan. It has been extended along the right side (east) wall(roofline), and the station in the corner is now situated in the middle of a Wye (although the wye is not connected to the north side but dissapears from view). It is somewhat based on the arrangement in Davis, CA. This station is where the CFNR interchanges with the UP. It is an Amtrak stop (the Zephyr passes through here on the way from/to Sacramento) which will allow me to add some passenger action in the future, the interchange with UP is great as it allows me to add my UP loco's in the mix, and if you look at the real station building (google earth etc) it still has an old SP sign on its side wall, giving away it's heritage, so I could also add SP motive power with a little creativity.  Although I've added a few tracks on the west side for operational interest, I had to remove a few turnouts to the east side, but the general feel is still there. I hope to scratch build the pretty station building to some extend, although I may have to shorten and play a bit with it's dimensions to make it fit, but the aim is to capture it's feel.  The new trackplan can be seen above (click on it for a bigger view), the station building below.

2 comments:

  1. That building... architecture smells like some gunpowder from Clint Eastwood with a Winchester in his hand :D But a great addition for an American layout. Anyway, I adore old fashioned things (buildings, trains, cars, almost anything - more elegant than the modern ones, in my humble opinion). I hope to see a photo of what you will obtain from scratch building, sir. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll be needing it, it's not the easiest of designs. You can find a little info on the building on wikipedia by the way, it's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis_(Amtrak_station)

    ReplyDelete