Friday, July 16, 2010

C44-9W progress

I've reported that I was starting my next project, which was going to be detailing and converting to DCC of an Athearn C44-9W. That is now well underway. One thing I am doing is changing the molded on steps to brass photo etched see through steps from A-line. These two pictures give you an idea of the before and after effect of this. I've also purchased a DCC sound decoder to go into this loco, this time it's a Soundtraxx Tsunami which I bought at Bromsgrove Models in the UK. (see links list on the right). It gives me the opportunity to compare a QSI (in the CF7) to a Soundtraxx, both in terms of sound, and in running performance. (I have to be honest that the CF7 was re-motored with a Mashima, while for now the C44-9W will retain it's original Athearn motor, but that's also because it is not expected to do a lot of switching.

No comments:

Post a Comment