Monday, April 26, 2010

Traveling Modelers

Not sure if any readers of this blog are in the same situation as me, but I can't help thinking there must be others out there, that have a job that requires a lot of travel, spending time in hotel rooms etc.
In any case I do. So what can you do if you travel, and still want to do some modeling?
My solution to this 'problem' is to take along a small set of basic tools, (no more than fits in a small shoebox or lunch box, a bit like the picture (not my set)) and a small project. My current one is building  a CF7 locomotive. I use a railpower shell, various detail parts etc.
So I spend my free time in hotel rooms to sit at the desk (I've also got a small hobby mat to protect the desk surface) and do some drilling and cutting (with a small pin vise, scalpels etc) to my shell, and fit some of the details that can handle the travel. A small corner of my suitcase is reserved for these items and a few bits of additional foam or bubble wrap protect that corner from all to eager airport luggage handlers etc.
Basic tools I travel with are:
- small screwdrivers set
- Needle file set
- precision file set
- Scalpels
- Pin vise
- set of miniature drill bits
- cordless Dremel
- detail parts + locomotive shell
- masking tape
- ruler and vernier caliper
- desk hobby mat

All of this takes up fairly little space of my suitcase.(I try to pack cleverly, put items inside shoes etc to save space)
If any of the readers here have similar experiences I'd like to know, perhaps I can pick up a few tips :-)

2 comments:

  1. I presume you check this luggage in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I do, in most cases (certainly air travel) you cannot take any chemicals, sharp objects etc in hand luggage. Packing it carefully is therefore important, but so far I've had no trouble with damage etc.

    ReplyDelete